How much does Nutrisystem cost? Nutrisystem promises that you’ll “lose weight, improve your health, and have more energy,” but at what price?
The actual price tag of the diet depends on a few factors, and we break these down so that you get an estimate of what it might cost you on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
Nutrisystem offers plans specifically for men or women in three levels: Basic, Core, and Uniquely Yours. Generally the price difference of these plans reflects the variety of frozen and non-frozen prepared meals that are included. (you pay more for increased variety)
The Price Depends on Which Promotion You Choose:
There are several promotions available, but the pricing is actually confusing. To get the best price you should know:
- The $100 off promo is the best deal over the first 3 months only, after which you are billed $50 more per month starting on the 4th month!
- The 40% off promotion locks in that rate for as long as you stay on the diet, making it the best long-term option. Here is a comparison of the current promotions:
Nutrisystem Cost: Prices Per Day & Month:
|40% Off: (Women)|
(BEST price long-term!)
|40% Off: (Men)|
(BEST price long-term!)
|$100 Off: (Women)|
(*First 3 months)
|$100 Off: (Men)|
|Uniquely Yours: $80 Off|
Women: (*First 2 months)
|40% Off: (Diabetic)|
(Locks in discount!)
|$25 First 2 Orders|
(*First 2 months)
|*No Coupon: (Women)|
|*View today's top 7 promotions for Nutrisystem here|
*You can use this featured promotion, or view more coupons
Want a simple answer? Here are estimates of what Nutrisystem costs if you just signup with the promotion on their homepage: (no coupon)
Nutrisystem cost for WOMEN:
- Basic Plan: $10/day or $300 per month
- Core Plan: $11/day or $330 per month
- Uniquely Yours: $12/daily or $360 per month
- Vegetarian Plan: $12/daily or $360 per month
Nutrisystem cost for MEN:
- Basic Plan: $11.25/day or $340 per month
- Core Plan: $12/day or $360 per month
- Uniquely Yours: $13.50/daily or $400 per month
- Vegetarian Plan: $13.50/daily or $400 per month
*There is a “diabetes” version of each of the “Basic, Core, and Uniquely Yours” plans for women and men available at the same price called Nutrisystem D.
Tip: When you do use a coupon, it applies discount pricing to these estimates, saving you about 5-10% per month or more. The 40% off promotion above locks in the promotional price forever.
*More: Does Nutrisytem Work? (And HOW does it actually work?)
Factor in the cost of GROCERIES
They say that groceries cost the average woman about $250 per month, and the average man about $300 per month. (source)
While Nutrisystem provides most meals for you, you should assume that you’ll be spending extra on food from the grocery store including fresh fruits and vegetables.
I would estimate that you should add an extra $5 per day, or $150 per month to account for supplemental groceries on the Nutrisystem diet. If you’re frugal it might be less, and if you buy any special or organic foods it will be more.
If you are on the diet, you’ll spend significantly less at the grocery store, so in that sense it’s a cost-savings. This is the key difference compared to the (seemingly lower) cost of Weight Watchers. Even though Nutrisystem is costing you $300+ per month upfront, it’s probably replacing $200+ of what you are buying in groceries.
Add the cost of eating out at restaurants
Restaurant food is notoriously bad for diets, but some people are more disciplined than others. Also, some people’s travel schedule makes restaurant food unavoidable.
How to eat out at restaurants without putting on the pounds – TheAtlantic.com
While there is no requirement to eat anything at restaurants with Nutrisystem, you’ll want to account for the expense if you are on a monthly budget.
The amount that you spend at restaurants can vary, but know that the average meal outside the home costs about $13 per person.
Is Nutrisystem Expensive?
Consider the following when determining the cost of Nutrisystem:
- It can appear costly because you pay $300 in one payment per month
- It is not a significant extra expense because Nutrisystem will replace most of the meals that you currently pay
- Nutrisystem will significantly reduce the amount of time you currently spend planning and preparing meals
- Nutrisystem’s prepared, pre-portioned meals can be considered a more efficient and cost-effective way to eat, as Americans currently waste half of the food that they buy (grocery stores, etc)
- The cost of Nutrisystem is not expensive compared to other meal delivery diets like South Beach and Bistro MD
The Nutrisystem plan isn’t for everyone, but it’s strength is convenience. People who wish to have more freedom in what they eat can consider the Weight Watchers diet, which has no prepared meals or restrictions, but requires you to count points.
Nutrisystem cost is comparable to most other diets
Arguably, Nutrisystem is one of the most affordable diet plans on the market because unlike Weight Watchers, it includes prepared meals. That makes it comparable to the cost of Medifast , Bistro MD, and The South Beach Diet. Consumers on the program lose approximately 8 pounds per month, and overall, the program is an economical answer to losing weight.
Nutrisystem follows a multi-level plan that incorporates portion control, balanced nutrition, and frequent prepared meals so that program participants not only get the necessary nutrition they need, but also balance their diets for maximum results. With all of their 4-week plans you will:
- Eat 5-6 times a day
- Eat fresh vegetables + fresh fruit
- Lose approximately 1-2 pounds per week / 8 pounds per month
- All of their 4-week plans are shipped to your home
Nutrisystem’s slogan includes the terminology of “eat smart and often,” which is something that expert dieticians have promoted for years. (especially for diabetics)
In Summary: Total Cost
Here’s what Nutrisystem costs for the average person:
- The Nutrisystem diet costs about $11 per day
- That works out to be about $80 per week
- The Nutrisystem diet costs about $320 per month
- Being on Nutrisystem costs about $4000 per year, but should save a lot of that amount on grocery expenses
*You will be buying significantly less food at the grocery store and at restaurants, but you should account for some additional spending on food for your monthly budget.
Think of the cost of a diet as an investment
Although being on a highly-rated diet or weight loss program of any kind adds an additional expense, consider it to be a good investment in your health, especially when you consider what obesity costs America every year!