How much does Nutrisystem cost? Nutrisystem claims that you’ll “lose weight, improve your health, and have more energy,” but what’s the price, and does it really work?
The actual price tag of the diet depends on a few factors including which plan you choose and which promotion you signup with. Their pricing can be a but confusing, so we researched how much the Nutrisystem diet will really cost on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
*Updated 5/08/18: New prices + If you are interested in joining, we have an exclusive coupon for the best price online, giving you an extra $30 off the already discounted price with today’s promo code! Sweet!
Price Depends on Plan Choice + Promotion
- Basic – Cheapest plan, but menu can’t be customized
- Core – The most popular plan, adds menu flexibility
- Uniquely Yours – The most food options, but most expensive
- Uniquely Yours Plus – (New) Adds 28 protein shakes per month
Generally the price difference of these plans reflects the variety of frozen and non-frozen prepared meals that are included. (you pay more for increased variety)
Nutrisystem Cost: Prices Per Day & Month:
Exactly how much is Nutrisystem? The actual cost of Nutrisystem depends on which promotion you signup with. We strongly recommend the “40% off“ promotion, (reflected in prices below) as your monthly cost will never go up. Here are the prices for Nutrisystem plans for women. (Cost of Men’s plans here)
|Nutrisystem Cost: (Women)||Basic:||Core:||Uniquely Yours:||Uniquely PLUS:|
|40% off Promo: |
|$100 off Promo: |
|DIABETIC Plan: |
|Homepage Price: |
- Cost per meal? Since you are asked to eat 5-6 times per day while on Nutrisystem, the cost per meal is about $2.20.
- *The $100 off coupon yields the best price for the first 3 months only, then the price increases. Please read below:
- Reduce the cost of your first month when you stack a promo code on top of this 40% discount for up to an extra $30 off
How to Get the #1 BEST Price at Signup:
There are several promotions available for their 28-day plans, (auto-delivery) that yield different costs per day and month. That means the cost can vary based on which promotion you signup with. This can be confusing, so to get the best price you should know:
- The $100 off promo is the best deal over the first 3 months only, after which you are billed $50 more per month starting on the 4th month!
- The 40% off promotion locks in that rate for as long as you stay on the diet, making it the best long-term option. Here is a comparison of the current promotions:
- Promo codes are often available for up to an extra $30 off. You can stack these on top of the 40% off promotion for the #1 “best price.”
- Costco members can also buy $100 Nutrisystem gift cards for only $79, here’s how.
*You can use this featured promotion, (locks-in rate) or view more coupons
*More: Does Nutrisytem Work? (And HOW does it actually work?)
Let’s Figure Out the TOTAL Cost:
Nutrisystem allows for several “flex meals” each week. That means you’ll have one breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack on your own to buy.
These flex meals can come from home-cooking or eating out at restaurants. Even though they aren’t really part of Nutrisystem let’s factor them in when considering the total cost of Nutrisystem for your budget.
The Cost of GROCERIES
First, all plans start with their initial fast weight loss phase called Turbo 13 that includes extras like shakes and bars. If you are on the Nutrisystem diet, you’ll be supplementing their frozen and non frozen prepared meals with food from the grocery store, including the several “flex meals” that you are allotted each week.
They say that groceries cost the average woman about $250 per month, and the average man about $300 per month. (source)
While Nutrisystem provides most meals for you, you should assume that you’ll be spending extra on food from the grocery store including fresh fruits and vegetables.
I would estimate that you should add an extra $5 per day, or $150 per month to account for supplemental groceries on the Nutrisystem diet. If you’re frugal it might be less, and if you buy any special or organic foods it will be more.
If you are on the diet, you’ll spend significantly less at the grocery store, so in that sense it’s a cost-savings. This is the key difference compared to the (seemingly lower) cost of Weight Watchers. Even though Nutrisystem is costing you $300+ per month upfront, it’s probably replacing $200+ of what you are buying in groceries.
Add the Cost of Eating Out at Restaurants
Restaurant food is notoriously bad for diets, but some people are more disciplined than others. Also, some people’s travel schedule makes restaurant food unavoidable.
How to eat out at restaurants without putting on the pounds – TheAtlantic.com
While there is no requirement to eat anything at restaurants with Nutrisystem, you’ll want to account for the expense if you are on a monthly budget.
The amount that you spend at restaurants can vary, but know that the average meal outside the home costs about $13 per person.
This can be a significant cost-savings as while on Nutrisystem you’ll probably be eating out less and saving money on your bar tab, as Nutrisystem limits alcohol to 1-2 drinks per week.
In Summary: Total Cost
Here’s what Nutrisystem costs for the average person including minimal spending for supplemental fruits, veggies, and “flex meals”:
- The Nutrisystem diet costs about $15 per day ($10 + $5 extra food)
- That works out to be about $105 per week ($70 + $35 extra food)
- The Nutrisystem diet costs about $450 per month ($300 + $150 extra food)
- How much is a year of Nutrisystem? About $5000 per year ($3650 + $1350 extra food)
*You will be buying significantly less food at the grocery store and at restaurants, but you should account for some additional spending on food for your monthly budget.
Is Nutrisystem Expensive?
Consider the following when determining the cost of Nutrisystem:
- It can appear costly because you pay $300 in one payment per month
- It is not a significant extra expense because Nutrisystem will replace most of the meals that you currently pay
- Nutrisystem will significantly reduce the amount of time you currently spend planning and preparing meals
- Nutrisystem’s prepared, pre-portioned meals can be considered a more efficient and cost-effective way to eat, as Americans currently waste half of the food that they buy (grocery stores, etc)
- The cost of Nutrisystem is not expensive compared to other meal delivery diets like South Beach and Jenny Craig
The Nutrisystem plan isn’t for everyone, but it’s strength is convenience. People who wish to have more freedom in what they eat can consider the Weight Watchers diet, which has no prepared meals or restrictions, but requires you to count points.
Nutrisystem Cost: Their 28-Day Plans Are Relatively Inexpensive (vs. Other Meal Delivery Diets)
Arguably, the Nutrisystem is one of the most affordable diet plans on the market because unlike Weight Watchers, their 28-day plans include delivery of prepared meals. That makes it comparable to the cost of Medifast , Bistro MD, and The South Beach Diet. Consumers on the program lose approximately 8 pounds per month, and overall, the program is an economical answer to losing weight.
Nutrisystem follows a multi-level plan that incorporates portion control, balanced nutrition, and frequent prepared meals so that program participants not only get the necessary nutrition they need, but also balance their diets for maximum results. With all of their 4-week plans you will:
- Eat 5-6 times a day
- Eat fresh vegetables + fresh fruit
- Lose approximately 1-2 pounds per week / 8 pounds per month
- All of their 4-week plans are shipped to your home
Nutrisystem’s slogan includes the terminology of “eat smart and often,” which is something that expert dieticians have promoted for years. (especially for diabetics)
Cost of a Diet = Investment?
Although being on a highly-rated diet or weight loss program of any kind adds an additional expense, consider it to be a good investment in your health, especially when you consider what obesity costs America every year!
Even though $300+ is a big monthly payment, it does replace most of your monthly meals, potentially making the diet almost pay for itself in many cases. Also, Nutrisystem’s cost is low in comparison to other meal delivery diets. For these reasons, we rate the cost of Nutrisystem highly: